Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Patriots release Aaron Hernandez after TE's arrest for murder

Update: the charge against Hernandez is murder. He was also charged with several counts of unlawful possession of firearms. A judge ordered him to be held without bail.

Aaron Hernandez, a 23-year-old former tight end for the New England Patriots, has been taken into custody by police. He was led out of his North Attleborough, Mass., home in handcuffs on Wednesday morning.

It is, as yet, unclear why Hernandez was arrested. The events come over a week after the body of Odin Lloyd, 27, was found about a half-mile away from Hernandez's home, on June 17. The death was ruled a homicide; Hernandez has not been named as a suspect in the case, but police have searched his home, which sits on the Rhode Island border not far from the Gillette Stadium, home of the Patriots, several times since Lloyd's death.

Lloyd was a semipro football player. Lloyd's family members said that Lloyd, who had been shot in the head, and Hernandez were friends who had been together the day prior to his body's discovery.

Shortly after his arrest, the Patriots announced that they had released Hernandez.
A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation.

We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.
Even the Massachusetts State Police uses Twitter, apparently. They tweeted confirmation of his arrest, and added that charges will not be released until Hernandez is arraigned, later today.
We are not releasing the charge against Hernandez until it is presented to the court. Again, he will be arraigned in Attleboro Court today
Last week a Connecticut man, 30-year-old Alexander S. Bradley, filed a civil lawsuit in Florida saying Hernandez shot him in the face in February, causing him to lose an eye; he was seeking damages in excess of $100,000.

According to a Palm Beach County police report, the case was abandoned because Bradley refused to cooperate with authorities.

No comments: