It's not the only award show to be making a move to avoid conflicts with the 2014 Winter Olympics, which are scheduled for Feb. 7 - 23 in Sochi, Russia. Others that have announced changes are the Screen Actors Guild and the Producers Guild of America, who have both moved up their 2014 awards ceremonies to the weekend of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, on Jan. 18 and 19, respectively.
In addition, the Directors Guild will present its annual awards on Jan. 25, 2014. The Hollywood Foreign Press Association has yet to announce when its Golden Globe Awards ceremony will be held.
The key upcoming award dates are as follows:
- Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013: The Governors Awards
- Monday, Dec. 2, 2013: Official Screen Credits due
- Friday, Dec. 27, 2013: Nominations voting begins
- Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014: Nominations voting ends 5 p.m. PT
- Thursday, Jan. 16, 2014: Oscar nominations announced
- Monday, Feb. 10, 2014: Nominees Luncheon
- Friday, Feb. 14, 2014: Final voting begins
- Saturday, Feb. 15, 2014: Scientific and Technical Awards
- Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2014: Final voting ends 5 p.m. PT
- Oscar Sunday, March 2, 2014: 86th Academy Awards
- Oscar Sunday, Feb. 22, 2015: 87th Academy Awards
Nominations for the 86th annual Academy Awards will be announced Jan. 16, 2014, over six weeks prior to the actual ceremony.