As GMA noted, in the last month, seven mass shootings have resulted in the loss of 48 innocent lives (and 4 other lives, counting the gunmen). This is simply the count of highly publicized mass killings across the country; it wouldn't include killings on a singular scale (and you know there were plenty of those).
- Early March: 10 killed in Samson, AL.
- Two weeks ago last Saturday, 4 Oakland police officers killed; the gunman was killed as well.
- Six people dead in a murder-suicide in an upscale Silicon Valley neighborhood.
- Eight people killed in a nursing home
- Thirteen killed in an immigrant center, before the gunman killed himself
- Three police officers killed in Pittsburgh, PA
- Five children shot by their father before he turned the gun on himself in Washington state.
While ABC reporter David Muir spoke to Sawyer about the "gun show loophole" that allows customers to buy guns, no questions asked, at this point it's too early to say if weapons in these later incidents came from gun shows. At any rate, gun rights advocates note that individual-to-individual sales have never been regulated.
Should they be? Readers?
Watch the following video from ABC's Good Morning, America, broadcast Apr. 6, 2009, via Raw Story.